Search

Ray Charles by Chiddy Bang


It's Philadelphia's very own rap duo's turn to pay tribute to the legend of R&B, Ray Charles. Yesterday was the debut of Chiddy Bang's (Chiddy & Xaphoon) first single off their fourth-coming album which will also be their debut called Breakfast.

So why name their record after "Ray Charles?" It serves as their modern hip-hop take on classic soul music. A modern mix of rhymes over piano and an assortment of horns, vintage style. It's good to see artists these days backtracking to the old, it gives them that legit old but fresh sound which is good therapy for the listening senses. Exhibit A below.    

Says Chiddy:

“The song actually started out as a joke when my brother, Cheeseburger Don, got so high he fell asleep in the studio with his sunglasses on. I looked over and he reminded me of Ray Charles, probably because I was high, too. I started freestyling about him and we laid it down right there.”